Our Story

A history of caring

The seeds of Aldersgate, then called The Methodist Home for the Aged, were planted in 1943. Since that time, we've grown to become the premier Continuing Care Retirement Community in the Charlotte area.

Below are some of the highlights we've experienced during our 60+ years of care for senior adults:

Take a walk through Aldersgate's history by clicking the red dots below.

The 40's

1940194119421943194419451946194719481949

March 23, 1943
Search for a Location

A committee is appointed to search for a location for building a home for the aged.

August 22, 1943
Hezekiah Alexander Farm & The First Employee

Eugene M. Cole donated the 180-acre Hezekiah Alexander farm - known as the Rock House Place - to the Western North Carolina Conference of the Methodist Church for the purpose of providing a home for the aged people and superannuated Methodist preachers.

Reverend Edwin O. Cole, his brother, released Carolyn Eargle from her employment with him to become secretary and bookkeeper for the developing Methodist home, becoming the first employee of The Methodist Home.

May 25, 1947
Groundbreaking

There was a groundbreaking ceremony and the Methodist Home building was started.

October 11, 1947
Laying of the Cornerstone

The 'laying of the cornerstone' was held.

June 25, 1948
First Member

The first member of The Methodist Home, Mr. T.W. Setliff, is admitted from Winston-Salem. Capacity for The Methodist Home at this point is 35.

The 50's

1950195119521953195419551956195719581959

1953
Expanding the Grounds

Two additional wings were added to The Methodist Home building, and three small apartment buildings - Alexander, Branscomb, and Cokesbury Garden Apartments - were opened.

1957
Expanding the Grounds

The first of the Azalea View Cottages were built along Forest Knoll Drive.

Reverend Edwin O. Cole, his brother, released Carolyn Eargle from her employment with him to become secretary and bookkeeper for the developing Methodist home, becoming the first employee of The Methodist Home.

The 60's

1960196119621963196419651966196719681969

December 1, 1961
Wesley Nursing Center

A groundbreaking ceremony was held for Wesley Nursing Center, which opened with 248 skilled nursing beds in 1963.

1966
The Azalea Garden

At the urging of Board member Kenneth Hobbs, a site was selected near the lake for an azalea garden.

1969
Supplementary Assistance Fund

The Supplementary Assistance Fund was started to provide assistance to residents needing financial assistance.

During the 1970s, the Methodist Home encouraged and supported growth of community- and faith-based organizations on campus. For instance, approximately 20 acres were leased to the Western North Carolina Conference for the purpose of building office space. Additionally, The Mint Museum built a historical museum on campus in 1975 for the purpose of educating the public about Charlotte's history. This museum, now the Charlotte Museum of History, attracts many visitors each year, offering a glimpse at life in Charlotte from Colonial times through today.

The 70's

1970197119721973197419751976197719781979

1970s

During the 1970s, the Methodist Home encouraged and supported growth of community- and faith-based organizations on campus. For instance, approximately 20 acres were leased to the Western North Carolina Conference for the purpose of building office space. Additionally, The Mint Museum built a historical museum on campus in 1975 for the purpose of educating the public about Charlotte's history. This museum, now the Charlotte Museum of History, attracts many visitors each year, offering a glimpse at life in Charlotte from Colonial times through today.

The 80's

1980198119821983198419851986198719881989

1980
Asbury Care Center

Asbury Care Center, an intermediate care facility, opens with 100 beds.

November 11, 1987
Epworth Tower Groundbreaking

A groundbreaking ceremony was held for Epworth Tower, an eight story building with 198 units.

November 11, 1988
25th Anniversary of Wesley Nursing Center

Wesley Nursing Center celebrates 25 years of service - over 5,200 patients have been served.

The 90's

1990199119921993199419951996199719981999

February 1990
First Move-In to Epworth Tower

Residents begin moving into Epworth Tower.

1992
Olde Masters' Golf Course

The Olde Masters' Golf Course, a three-hole course designed by residents in space opened up following Hurricane Hugo in 1989, opens.

November 1993
Parker Terrace Assisted Living

Parker Terrace Assisted Living opened, offering a much-needed "in between" level of care for residents not ready for 24-hour care provided at Asbury and Wesley care centers. Just a few years later, in response to a lack of need for such a high quantity of nursing beds, Wesley Care Center was leased to Presbyterian Healthcare System to be operated as a hospital.

Spring 1998
Marriott Service Excellence Award

Asbury Care Center is recognized for the wonderful work being done through the Eden Alternative through the award of the fifth annual Marriott Service Excellence Awards.

Fall 1998
Asbury Care Center Accolades

The North Carolina Association of Non-Profit Homes for the Aging (NCANPHA) presented Asbury Care Center with the state's Distinguished Service Award in recognition for the caring, loving, energizing and engaging lifestyle that residents enjoyed. Additionally, Asbury was bestowed the Award of Excellence in Practice by the American Association of Homes and Services for the Aging at the AAHSA Conference.

June 15, 1999
Aldersgate is Born

The Board announces a new name for the community: Aldersgate, A United Methodist Retirement Community.

The 00's

2000200120022003200420052006200720082009

November 2000
Aldersgate Groundbreaking

Responding to the increasing number of senior adults, the Board approved an expansion project for the campus. A groundbreaking ceremony was held celebrating the commencement of construction for the expansion. Plans for the expansion included construction of new apartments, cottages, a memory support assisted living facility, and a community center.

April 2001
New Main Entrance

The main entrance of campus is relocated to the traffic light at the intersection of Tipperary Drive and Shamrock Drive, providing visitors and residents a safer entry to campus.

April 25, 2002
Ray Hall Community Center

Staff moves into Ray Hall Community Center. Because repairs to Olde Main (the original Methodist Home building) would be costly and ineffective, the building is demolished.

October 28, 2002
Cuthbertson Village

Neighborhood A of Cuthbertson Village Memory Support Assisted Living opens. Named for Board member Rennie Cuthbertson, the facility has three neighborhoods surrounding a central "town square".

November 4, 2002
Francis Residential Building

Francis Residential Building opens. The three-story residential facility is named for Mary Liz Francis, a resident and lifelong supporter of The Methodist Home/Aldersgate.

June 1, 2003
Aldersgate Grand Opening

A Grand Opening celebration is held commemorating the opening of the Aldersgate community.

January 2006
Wesley Glen Executive Homes

The Wesley Glen community opens.

July 2007
The Rose Garden

The Rose Garden, funded by residents, staff and board members, is planted with 17 rose bushes in front of the Community Center.

June 21, 2008
60th Anniversary

Aldersgate celebrates the 60th anniversary of the move-in of its first member.

July 16, 2008
Medicare Certification

Asbury Care Center receives certification for Medicare reimbursements for 31 of its 100 skilled nursing beds.

The 10's

2010201120122013201420152016201720182019

June 26, 2010
Aldersgate at Home Launches

Aldersgate launches Aldersgate at Home, an in-home care service for independent residents.

">">http://leadinsiteportal.com/tracking/glance.js">